Sunday, December 8, 2013

Snow, A synagogue, Guatemala, Cuba, and Play tryouts

This week we did a lot, but we didn't do a lot. Whatever. Welcome to my homeschool.

On Monday and Tuesday, the rest of our immediate world had snow days. Homeschooler's don't have snow days. I did use this as an excuse to not do science club though. In fact, science, robotics, and co-op are on hold until after the holidays (yippee!)

We went to a Jewish synagogue this week. We were going to Calgary anyway, and I was reading cub badge "world religions" requirements, and I got inspired to find the fanciest synagogue I could and get an appointment for a tour.

We ended up going to Beth Tzedec Conservative congregation. It was a really awesome experience. The Rabi was super nice and informative, and we got to ask questions I've always wanted to ask a jew.  It was amazing how many things are affected by not having a temple "we don't do sacrifices because we don't have a temple" "we don't have priests because we don't have a temple" "we don't have tithing because we don't have a temple" and when you talk about rebuilding the temple "That is a BIG if. The Messiah would have to come before that is possible." So fascinating!

Anyway, the boys all had to wear yamakas into the synagogue, and we got to see handmade scrolls that were 100s of years old.



If you live in this area, I totally suggest doing this.

Moving on, we studied Guatemala this week.  We made banderitos as our activity. All the boys loved this.


We also studied Cuba. We made little "Tody" birds as our activity. Only Maxwell was really interested in this out of my boys, but hey, we had a million cousins over. Cousins are more interesting than crafts.


Lastly, we had our Alternate school Christmas party. Can I just say once again that I am one blessed homeschool mom to have so many resources and people who support me? Anyway, as part of this party, they had tryouts for the two plays they are doing this spring. The teenagers are doing Shakespeare, and the littles are doing Peter Pan. I hardly ever check one of my email accounts, so I got this notice late, so my boys didn't have too much time to prepare (one day) but I think they were pretty cute anyway:




Hyrum got the part of Michael, and Maxwell's a lost boy. I have to admit, I'm a bit excited about them being in a play. I sure loved being in them when I was little.

No comments:

Post a Comment