Sunday, September 11, 2016

Let them eat Cake!

This week we learned about Marie Antoinette and the French Revolution. So of course (even though we are trying not to have sugar, dairy, or gluten...and this cake had lots of all three...) we ate cake!


Throughout the week when we were learning about the revolution I would promise cake, but it never seemed to happen. Then, serendipitously, we went to a small county fair that we wanted to support ie buy things at, and they were selling cute little cakes! The boys were super excited.

We read AWESOME books by Usborne about Marie Antoinette and Tale of Two Cities. Instead of writing dry info, they told the story almost as if it were historical fiction. I think that's the key for me. I've always had a really hard time reading nonfiction. It took me a year to read Hold on To Your Kids even though I REALLY loved it and wanted to read it.

But if it's fiction, I gobble it up and put my life on hold until it's done. That's the way I learn. In fact, the first book I read about Dyslexia was a book that was STORIES from a tutor's life. The other dyslexia books I take forever to read or just listen to via audiobook. I wonder if that has anything to do with my slight dyslexia.

Anyway, my boys liked the books but were shocked that everyone got their heads cut off in the end. Marie Antoinette, Sidney, AND Robespierre. They are used to happily ever afters. SURPRISE!

Also, I've been thinking a lot about Voltaire after last week's Enlightenment lessons. I didn't teach my kids about him, because I got so frustrated by him. He made fun of people who thought everything in life (like evil) was from God and was actually good. BUT he forgot to consider the actual doctrine; which is that it will give you EXPERIENCE and be for thy good.

We learn and are MADE by our experiences. Heros are made, characters are formed, and people know who they really are because of opposition. That is part of God's plan. SO THERE Voltaire! Talk to a mormon next time you want to criticize God for letting there be evil in the world!



We skipped science because I was in Lethbridge and didn't get back in time. I went to Lethbridge too often this week and didn't get everything done this week in school that I wanted to. Next week should be a normal humdrum week, and I hope so, because I need it.

One of the times I went to Lethbridge, I tied balloons for the institute fair. I had extra balloons afterwards, and so we've had a little school on how to tie balloons, and my boys have been having a blast.


And that's it. Yep! Happy week y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment