Sunday, December 2, 2018

The Forces of Summer

SCIENCE

I did it! I finally did a science club! I tell you what, when I don't have the accountability of a club, it's hard to get the ball rolling. We had a couple of kids over, but they were just at our house anyway. I can't seem to get in contact with anyone else who homeschools here.

WHY? I mean, honestly! Here I am on an island were there are tons of Australian and New Zealand and other English speaking families. This is a very "hippy" place (and usually hippies support homeschool-right?) And, although there is an international school, it costs something like $8,000 a year per child!



I get that many hippy families just send their kids to the local schools for cultural experience, but really. WHERE ARE THE HOMESCHOOLERS?!?

I'm too intimidated to just open up and invite all the Bislama speaking kids over. Maybe that's my problem.

Last time we were here, our neighbours homeschooled, but they are now going to the International School. We also met a family who lives a ways away, but I can't seem to connect with them.

Well, at least we're importing friends soon. Before Christmas, the Walshes are coming!

And, honestly, the main reason I'm sure I can't find anyone, is that it's officially SUMMER vacation! Yes, school's out in this hemisphere. I feel a little like the world's not right. Like Olaf I guess.


The homeschool Vanuatu Facebook page is dead and no one has commented on the post I made to invite people to a homeschool picnic. Oh well.

So we are doing this all by ourselves.

We learned about Forces. We talked about push, pull, seen and unseen, and then focused on Newton and gravity. We had a tug of war as part of this.


We also are continuing our bug collections.


SOCIAL STUDIES

We learned about the Seven Years War aka The French and Indian War. I spent about two hours editing The Last of the Mohicans to make it kid friendly, but my family has yet to see any but the first five minutes. Maybe soon?

MATH

Maxwell's has been complicated lately and one problem takes up one page of notes.


Hyrum's


Daniel's


LAUNGUAGE ARTS

Maxwell's-I thought I would show what it looks like before it's final draft:



Hyrum's-We finally went on a date to celebrate his finishing book five of Barton. He was so sure that meant he was at grade six reading level now. I'm not sure why, but I told him the truth of where he was at with reading levels, and that deflated him. Regretting that.


Daniel's-I've been meaning to talk about Daniel. Something interesting about him, or that I'm observing closer than my other kids, is his trouble with sequencing of letters and words. It's a very classic dyslexia thing to do, but it's so obvious at the stage that Daniel's at right now.

The word "stop" becomes tops pots or spots. He looses his place frequently and mixes around words when he doesn't have his finger immediately under it. No wonder many people thin dyslexia is a problem with the eyes. (It's NOT by the way.)


The Adventures of Digital 3s....Continued

The guard looked at us seriously and said "Hey, you guys could be the chosen ones. Come follow me. We went into a giant room that was richly decorated with crystals and stained glass windows. There were hundreds of people in that room, but they were split up into groups of three.

They were people of many types. Sun people, fire people, crystal, earth, and many more. Each group of three people had a small creature with them. Almost as though each group had a pet.

The guard told us to go up to the queen, so we did.

No comments:

Post a Comment