Sunday, September 16, 2012

The Dentist

This week we went to the dentist----everyday.  Maxwell, Hyrum, and I went to the dentist two times each.  UUUGGGG!  My boys were champs.  But my homeschooling for the week didn't survive the grind of the drill.



I did manage to get Maxwell's reading writing and arithmetic done however.  On one of the days, we cleaned the house, then Maxwell went in for his drilling, he came home to watch some Magic School Bus, took a nap, and then at about 4 pm came to me and said "Okay, I want to do school now." What a blessed boy.

I had grand plans for the Enlightenment to be taught this week.  Now I'm thinking I'll just skip it this time around. I couldn't find any book or resource that any of my boys would be remotely interested in on the subject of the Enlightenment.  And the adult resources I found frustrated me.  I felt like they twisted and turned all the philosopher's lives and writings to fit their own agenda.  Very disappointed.

Having graduated in history, I have very little faith in historians as a whole.  And with that I shall end this post with Voltaire's quotes about historians:

All the ancient histories, as one of our wits say, are just fables that have been agreed upon.  ~Voltaire, Jeannot et Colin

Historians are gossips who tease the dead.  ~Voltaire, Scribbling Books

What would constitute useful history?  That which should teach us our duties and our rights, without appearing to teach them.  ~Voltaire, Philosophical Dictionary

No comments:

Post a Comment