Sunday, September 23, 2018

British Summer!

I must quickly tell you some things that have already happened that I never covered that happened this summer. For instance, WE WENT TO THE UNITED KINGDOM!!!

And of course all my pre-teaching paid off. We had talked about UK's geography, we had a Romeo and Juliet unit, we learned the ancient art that we would see in the British museum, we learned about the Tutor family, and much more, and boy did we learn when we actually got there!

Everyday was hands-on school. Loved it....just hope my boys never forget their experiences.












And as soon as we were back, Maxwell was off to CAMP! Not just any camp, Liber Youth Retreat. Just pure gold for young minds. He had to read "Carry On Mr. Bowditch" and "Little Women" as precursors to his time there. They had inspirational speakers, simulations, activities, and good food.

I only wish it had gone on longer. Maxwell came to me a couple days after he came back and said that one man had talked about what it meant to have real grit, and Maxwell wanted me to lock up his kindle every day until his jobs and school was done. Umm. YEAH!



And there's those three boys again. Love it. Grade one I snapped a photo of them and I try to get one every few years.

Then the next week, Naomi put on another camp, but we stayed in our houses for this one. It was a family history scripture camp, and it was fantastic. We had a jousting tournament, we talked genealogy, temples, and our root's cultures. So fun.



As part of this, Naomi had me take a group of kids to Granny Wendy's house to look at her tunnels. Not sure why or how this has anything to do with family history, but I guess it's making memories with your family, anyway, it was a fun adventure none of the kids in my group will forget.


The first week of school started with Labour Day. This inspired my husband to do a project for the long week end which spilled out into our school week. It was renovating a friends kitchen. It's in the McKay's genes to renovate, but my sister will be happy to know we had permission this time ;)

I did English with my kids that first week, but mostly it was construction, but I was impressed: Maxwell put together all the cupboards including the drawers, with no guidance from anyone.

Before and afters:







And that renovation was a spill into the new school year. What a whirl wind of an amazing year!

No comments:

Post a Comment