Saturday, October 27, 2018

Frogs in our Pool

We are here in Paradise!

It's been so wonderful because the Leavitts are still here. I don't know what we'll do without them.

Vanuatu already feels like home and the boys have jumped back into the island life.



One of the most memorable things about our first couple weeks here has been the frogs! I've never seen a frog in Vanuatu before, and now I've seen all I ever need to see.

Our pools had been emptied by Sheira who had been fixing up our house for our arrival. She worked magic on our house, but she said she needed to empty the pools because of frogs. Okay...whatever.

One night we had this torrential downpour of rain that filled up our pool about three feet! And along with the rain came the frogs. Many, many frogs. They made a sound like a cow and a duck were having a baby on a motorcycle.


We have been dispatching the frogs to a different location, and now, although our main pool is full, we can sleep at night without cow/duck/motorcycle sounds.

But in the mean time, I was really tempted to dissect a frog for science.  I lost my nerve. I had wanted to in our biology year, but I couldn't find any frogs back then. Now that I had a plethora, I was a pansy. Oh well.

Studying the LIVE frogs will have to count as our science for this week. I haven't gotten around to organizing any other science club.


For art, our teacher back in Canada had asked the boys to paint the first thing they saw that was bright and colourful. What did they find? Yep. Frogs.



Now that we have a pool, our boys want to be in it for most of the day. How can I deny them this excellent P.E.? But I have to watch them, so while I'm teaching, I am watching the pool as well. This is what half of my day ends up looking like right now:


SOCIAL STUDIES

For history we learned about the second passage i.e. the slave trade. I think I sufficiently disturbed them. Interestingly, we also started reading Witch of Blackbird Pond and it talked about shipping slaves.

We also talked about Iroquois vs Hurons. We talked about the Beaver Wars and Hiawatha. I need to remember that I should talk about the Hudson Bay before this lesson for more continuity.

As our activity, I had them make Lacrosse sticks. Daniel was the only one to finish his, but I think it ended up pretty cute!


MATH

Maxwell's



Uhh....I think that's actually glue that got on that paper.

Hyrum's


And Daniel's


LANGUAGE ARTS

Maxwell's


Hyrum's

I'm not sure what to do about Hyrum. I taught him a short Barton lesson and he said "You're nicer here." but I'm not sure what happened because after that I think I turned into a mean person. I taught him about three times after that and I almost burst into tears of frustration three times.

I MISS JANDY!!!

Seriously...I might have to have Jandy FaceTime him.

But he DID finish reading his "Chain of Gold" stand alone chapter book, and he is continuing his writing:


The Warrior Elements....Continued

He ducked out of view and spied around the corner to see what kind of element was in the armour. The element was taking off the armour so it could rum away. It was blue, which meant it had to be water.

"Hey Vipe!" Flame whispered. Go follow that element."

"There's another element in here?" Vipe whispered back.

"Yeah. I'll be right behind you just in case it's fire, but I'm pretty sure it's water."

"Good idea." said Vipe.

They looked in the armour and no one was there. Them they heard a sound of someone tripping. They looked up and was a water element.

"Do you know what I'm thinking?" asked Flame.

"Chase him?" asked Vipe.

"Yep." said Flame. "Let's go!" and they were off, chasing the water element. They got out of the temple and saw the water running. While they were running, Flame remembered that the crystals in his bag could float. He remembered how Vipe had tilted the crystals to turn.

Flame stopped. "What are you doing?" Vipe asked.

"We need to go faster." Flame said. "So maybe if we....ah ha!" He had reached in his bag and pulled out the crystals. "Use these!"

"Good idea, but are you worried about crashing?" asked Vipe.

"Good point. Let's make a skateboard."

"That would take too much time. We need to catch that guy." said Vipe.

"Don't worry. I know where that water element is going." said Flame.

"Where?" asked Vipe.

"To the hoodoos in the water. That's the only thing in that direction. Water elements seem to disappear there. I don't know how, but I know it's caused by something. With this flying skateboard that I'm finishing with this flat rock, we'll be able to quickly fly and find him.

Here, I'll finish tying and---voila! A skateboard for you and for me!" Flame triumphantly said.


and Daniel's


The Adventures of Digital 3s....Continued

....and fell on the ground. Then Jack said "Jim, duck!" This time I wasn't too late.

Three knives flew over me. They hit the ruckalloe right before the ruckalloe reached me. It barely hurt the ruckalloe, but it did enough to make him slow down and get angry.

Then the ruckalloe charged atJack. Jack did not realize the ruckalloe was coming after him. I ran to stop the ruckalloe, but them suddenly everything turned black.

I woke up thinking I was in an enemy's prison, but I wasn't. I opened my eyes and saw Jack on the ground hurt and bleeding. I saw Twister helping him. This weird creature that looked like a droplet was helping too.

I said "What happened?"

Twister said "It was this droplet that saved us. He was riding the ruck aloe and guiding it to trample an ironside that was about to knock me out, but then he saw ironhides that were about to kill Jack. He had to leave me to save him. But as the ruckalloe was trampoline the ironhides, it hurt Jack as well.

I said to the droplet "What is your name?"

"Drooplet." said the blue creature the size of a small fruit who is Madde of water but has hands, feet, and a face.

"How did you do that?" I asked.

"My water influences their thoughts."

Then I asked. "Why did you do that? I thought you were an enemy."

Dropplet said "I wanted a true master that would not enslave me, and I could tell that's who you are."

I said "Who, me?"

"Of course you."

"Why not Jack?" I asked.

No comments:

Post a Comment