Saturday, October 13, 2018

Fall and Winter Lasted just 2 Weeks

And we're off, AGAIN! We're in an airport on our way to Vanuatu and summer.

Leaving Alberta in the middle of October is PERFECT! We saw the fall colours. We had cozy sweater days by the fire with hot cocoa and snow gently falling out the window.

We made snowmen and made snow angels


Heh heh heh...yellow snow. (Food colouring)

We had Thanksgiving (which was perfect timing for our Social Studies about Pilgrims.) Thanksgiving with lots of family and friends. Turkeys and pies galore.


And we even had Halloween! We threw a Halloween party as a going away party. I didn't want a mess right before we left and I wanted to invite so many people, that I rented the Senior Centre. We filled up to whole place.

I feel so blessed to have so many friends and family.

I wanted my kids to have an opportunity to dress up. Halloween was always my favourite holiday.











Maxwell worked really hard on his Steve costume, and I'll never forget Denise's tooth!

But now we're off to the southern hemisphere where summer is just starting. We had our fall and winter, and now we're ready for summer!  We have been packing and packing. I brought lots and lots of school stuff. Enough for a year, but hardly any of my cute historical picture books. Maybe the Walshes (who are coming to visit us for a couple months) will bring them.


I am a little nervous this time around. The crime in Vanuatu has gone up in our neighbourhood, and it's dengue fever season and cyclone season. Interestingly, we had our yearly start of the school year father's blessings, and the common thread throughout all the blessings was that guardian angles would be protecting us. Hmmm...not sure what that means.



We will miss our art teacher!! Daniel even cried when he had to leave. Janet even sent us with art supplies and she will teach us remotely. Love her.



and now for the main school subjects:

SOCIAL STUDIES

We learned about Samuel de Champlain. We found a cute historical picture book about him, which is shocking because Canadian history doesn't have many of those. Did you know Port Royal was settled BEFORE Jamestown? Yep.

But of course, the Lost Colony of Roanoke was before it all. I have to teach my kids about the Lost Colony because the Outer Banks of North Carolina was in my first district on my mission, and it's on my bucket list to see the musical there (if they still do that...)

We also learned about Jamestown and Pocahontas. There are so many different versions about Pocahontas!!! It was an excellent opportunity to talk to my kids about how historians can put their own spins and biases on the past.

John Smith didn't say that Pocahontas had saved him until he wrote to the queen years later. Why? WE DON'T KNOW. But most historians think they know the truth. In fact, one book I have is called "The True Story of Pocahontas." Which contradicted some of the other versions that claimed to be the "truth." Yeah. Gotta love "history."


We also read "A Lion to Guard Us" which was a fascinating historical fiction novel about a ship that wrecked in Bermuda on it's way to Jamestown, which ended up being a blessing, because they lived well in the tropical lushness, were able to build a new boat, and brought lots of food to the starving Jamestown. True story.

So interesting!!!


We also learned about the pilgrims. I sort of had my USA Thanksgiving because of that. I love celebrating the pilgrims instead of Columbus.

We had our pilgrims pudding. We have chocolate pudding and cookies for dirt and candy corn as seeds, and then fishy crackers as the fertilizer in honour of how Squanto taught the pilgrims. A hit.


SCIENCE

For science we had our last electricity lesson. We focused on circuits and we played that game where you try and not touch the wire because we don't want to close the circuit and make the light go on.


MATH

Daniel's



Hyrum's



And Maxwell's



LANGUAGE ARTS

Maxwell's


Hyrum's

The Warrior Elements....Continued

Vipe flew into another room in the temple and Flame heard a crash. He ran over to see what was going on.

He said "Are you okay?" Then he saw something move. He looked at one of the statues in the room. He realized it was armour, not a statue, and that someone was in the armour.

Flame went closer carefully, knowing it could be an element that was against him.



Daniel's

The Adventures of Digital 3s....Continued

When we got close enough to get one, they all ran off. The herd had been frightened by something, but we didn't know what it was.

"What spooked them all?" Twister said.

"I don't know but it must be really dangerous to scare off a whole herd of ruckalloes." I said.

Then I had a strange feeling that someone was right behind us. Then Twister said "Watch out!" But it was too late, I got stuck in a humongous web. A spider that was three times bigger than me jumped on me. Then Jack punched it in its weak spot, making it fall.

But that was just the first beast there.

Then the ground suddenly shook. A lava serpentine came out of the ground in front of us. A bunch of ironsides (metal like creatures with spikes all over and tiny hands and feet) had curled into balls and were quickly rolling towards us. 

Then a ruckalloe was charging us as well. Jack used his staff which made it so he could jump over all the creatures. Twister turned into a caterpillar and inched off. For a second, I thought they were abandoning me. 


Then the lava serpentine moved away from me.


Hmmm. Why is Daniel's so much longer? anyway, I'm a bit nervous about leaving Cardston and Jandy Barry, our amazing tutor, but we'll see what adventures await us!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment