Sunday, February 5, 2012

Rome wasn't built in a day, and it wasn't built by my kids either

We started studying ancient Rome for the month.  I find the similarities and differences between Rome and Greece amazing, and I love teaching and learning with the kids.

For one of our activities, we made a Roman mural on the wall.  It kind of turned into a huge scribble session.  I think they were delighted they could draw on the wall without getting in trouble....


We also learned about the Roman Republic and the senate and talked about the upperclass wanting to feel important, but were not super super rich, and so instead of statues, they had portrait busts made of themselves...you know, I've always thought my art history degree was a bit useless, but I've used it a lot this year!

And so, I had them make their own portrait busts.  This was Maxwell's:


Isn't it the cutest thing you ever saw?  I LOVE it!

And this is Hyrum's...not quite as....polished as Maxwell's, but he was proud of it:


A little bug :)

For Preschool we reviewed the letter 'j" and they jumped all over the house.  (We also sing and dance and practice writing and things, just to let you know)


And for science we started gearing up for the science fair on Valentine's day.  We learned the scientific method and started deciding what projects each kid wants to do.


Maxwell is VERY excited about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment